Book Review - Whispers of the Deep by Emma Hamm

Whispers of the Deep by Emma Hamm

This book isn't my first by Emma Hamm. I first read her book The Demon Court and thought it was good, but I thought this book was phenomenal. I will say, though, a paranormal monster romance is not for everyone. So if you're not into that, this book is not for you. But I loved it. I initially was intrigued by the cover, but when I read the description, I was already hooked. 

Whispers of the Deep follows Mira, an engineer for the city of Beta. Beta is an underwater city that was created after the surface became uninhabitable by humans. But the ocean isn't necessarily much safer. One day, while working by herself, Mira comes face to face with a monster, an undine (basically a dangerous mermaid). Humans don't know very much about undines, aside from the fact that they are extremely intelligent. And after nearly getting killed by this one, Mira's interest is piqued. Undines have been fed up with humans since they entered the sea because the humans have killed off much of the biodiversity of the ocean with their cities. The undines decide to go after Beta's oxygen pipes to kill the humans. But things don't go to plan. Arges, one of the undines, is then stuck in the city and Mira who was stuck deep in the tunnels and ends up face to face with the same undine that tried to kill her. She ends up saving his life by flooding the room they're in, and he spares her by putting her into an elevator that will take her back to the rest of the humans. Arges returns back to his pod but is ordered to learn what he can from the woman who saved his life, so when he finds her working alone, he steals her away. But as time goes on, they go from captive and captor to friends and then to a little more. But how could they be together if one cannot live on land and the other cannot live in the water?

It is very rare that I love every single character in a book. I almost always find something to nitpick about a character, but I just couldn't find anything in this book. Every single character was very well written. Mira was strong, feisty, and strong. And Arges was a bit of a brute but also very sweet. I even liked the "villains" like Arges' brother Daios. I'm very interested to see what happens in the next book, with Daios as the MMC. 

I basically already explained the plot of this book in my summary, and I thought the story was so entertaining. Although a lot of it was the same, with them moving from place to place, it's clear how their relationship progresses and makes their interactions so much more meaningful. They go from just intrigued by the differences between them to actually loving each other for who they were. The way they couldn't communicate with each other at first made things so difficult for them, but it kept the story very interesting. 

Overall, an amazing monster romance. I am already counting the days until September, when Song of the Abyss is released.



Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *