Book Review - Lights Out by Navessa Allen

Lights Out by Navessa Allen

I can't remember how I found this book. It might've been through a TikTok, but anyway, this book's description immediately hooked me. If you're on TikTok, you've probably seen those videos of masked men doing thirst traps. Now imagine, you watch this one masked man religiously, and one day when you get home from work you see his mask on your bed and his most recent video was filmed in your room. Need I say more?

Anyway, Aly is an ER nurse who often works the night shift. But when it gets quiet at work, she hops onto TikTok to distract herself, some shirtless masked men being all angsty to dramatic music. There is this one specific masked guy whose videos she loves. Is she going to leave thirsty comments for him to see under all his videos? Absolutely. Will he ever notice them? Well....  One night, after a long shift at work, she comes home and finds his mask in her bed. From this moment on, they start something of a stalker-romance. With the masked man following her around. But as they spend more time together, she can't shake the feeling that she already knows this man...

Okay, Aly and Josh were not the best characters. Aly got on my nerves a bit for some reason. She had a habit of going to "oh no, I'm so shy" to "whip out your dick" in mere seconds. I just thought her character was a bit inconsistent. I also don't really understand the family mafia connection, that also didn't make sense. Josh was a cute MMC as far as "dark romances" go. He consistently asked for consent, which I thought was a nice touch. Does he do some questionable things, like stalking? Yes. But does he have good intentions? Also yes. 

My only major complaint about this book was that I thought the plot was just a little strange. Like I mentioned, Aly has a family mafia connection that creates this storyline that makes up a large portion of the book. I thought it was just so random and unfitting. I still enjoyed reading this book, but I wish it had focused more on Aly and Josh's relationship.

Overall, a fun read, just make sure to read the trigger warnings.



Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *